Saturday, January 30, 2010

DAVID HYDE PIERCE HOSTS SUNDANCE AWARDS CEREMONY



















TV and Broadway star David Hyde Pierce and Starry Night's Craig Saavedra at the Closing Night Awards Ceremony 
PARK CITY --  Sundance TwentyTen wrapped today with an awards ceremony that began with host David Hyde Pierce and festival topper John Cooper performing a rap song featuring the titles of every film screened over the last ten days. Needless to say, the unlikely duo brought down the house.

The ceremony and party that followed capped what many felt was the best edition of SFF in years. Personally, I wanted to see far more films than I did but was pleased with the number of meetings and social events I was able to squeeze into a week. I also didn't get a chance to do any skiing.  I started the day off with an early screening of Nicole Holofcener's PLEASE GIVE starring Catherine Keener, Oliver Platt and my buddy Thomas Ian Nicholas, who does a bang-up job in the comedy/drama slice of life.

I also attended a panel entitled ART IN AMERICA that featured playwright Moises Kaufman. It was an interesting discussion on the relationship between artists and government.

After the ceremony I was able to catch up with one of my dearest friends Greg Barker, the documentarian who served on the fest's jury this year. It was a tough day for Greg as he had learned during a screening last night that his editor had just been killed in a hit and run on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Very tragic. Very sad. Still, I was proud to see him honor her memory as he presented the award for best documentary.



















With actor Joseph Gordon Levitt at the Closing Night Party
Later in the evening I continued my chat with actor/director Mark Ruffalo about potential projects, and caught up with other friends that were also schmoozing their way around the enormous Racquet Club venue.

All in all, a fun and productive festival. But I'm exhausted and can't wait to get back home. (CMS)

No comments:

Post a Comment